Post a job for $45 for 30 days.
Drop us a line at email@example.com to get your job posted instantly.
✓ All jobs posted are also shared to Afriapps' Facebook and Twitter networks.
✓ Reach a wide audience of professionals in your location and across the world.
✓ Benefit from Afriiapps' exclusivity by being one of the few in a clean, selective and non-cluttered medium.
✓ Make a statement about your organisation by posting your vacany on a Afriapps' high-end platform.
✓ Reach a higher calibre of candidates due to Afriapps' appeal to the selective and discerning professional.
09 April 2013
Ushahidi is a fast-paced, boundary-pushing team of designers and developers positioned around the world, and we’re looking to hire a talented front-end designer and developer to our team.
We currently develop three software products -- Ushahidi Core, Crowdmap and SwiftRiver -- and are approaching the release of our first hardware product. So we’re looking for a designer and developer that’s eager to contribute to multiple teams and projects, designing their user experience, user interfaces and web markup.
It doesn’t matter where Ushahidi team members live. The most important thing is that you have great design chops, can work autonomously and communicate effectively across the seven different timezones our team reaches.
About the role
You’ll be responsible for all things design; from our corporate website to the UI design of our products. You might spend some days designing the UI for a control panel, other days building the front-end for a new feature, assembling the landing page for new product offering,or assisting with updates to our company’s official websites (ushahidi.com and subdomains).
- Passionate about clean, semantic code.
- Self-starter able to effectively manage multiple projects at once.
- Experienced with managing projects and code with git (GitHub).
- You have the discipline to work autonomously, no need to be in an office.
- Good understanding ofresponsive design, grid systems, layout and color, asset production, typography and a meticulous attention to pixel-level detail.
- Advanced Photoshop skills a must.
- Solid organizational/project management skills; flexible enough to roll with changing priorities and deadlines.
- Diligent work habits and ability to meet tight deadlines.
- Fantastic communicator.
- Enjoys brainstorming and collaboration.
- Self-motivated and creative problem-solver.
Bonus points for:
- Experience with PHP, esp. the Kohana or CodeIgniter frameworks.
- Experience with APIs.
- Experience with WordPress.
- A battle-hardened understanding of browser compatibility.
- Work from anywhere
- Choose the hardware and software you need to get stuff done.
- 80/20 rule (similar to Google’s).
- Health insurance
Note: Introduce yourself by sending a brief cover letter and your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Front-End Designer/Developer." In addition to sending your CV, include 2-3 links to live websites that highlight your skills and summarize (2-3 sentences max) the work you contributed to those sites.
Ushahidi is small, five-year-old company on a mission to change the way information flows in the world, creating a way for the crowd to have a voice. We do this through creating open source platforms like Ushahidi, cloud-based platforms like Crowdmap and SwiftRiver, and geting involved with our community by kick-starting resources such as CrisisMappers and building out spaces like the iHub in Nairobi.